Trump Says No Iran Talks as Strait of Hormuz Remains Shut
Trump says no talks are planned with Iran as Tehran keeps the Strait of Hormuz closed, demanding an end to the U.S. blockade, sanctions and military threats.
Raja Awais Ali
8/19/20265 min read


Trump Says No Iran Talks as Strait of Hormuz Remains Shut Amid Rising Tensions
U.S. President Donald Trump has said that no talks or discussions are currently taking place with Iran and that no new negotiations are scheduled, adding fresh uncertainty to an already fragile situation between Washington and Tehran. At the same time, Iran says the Strait of Hormuz remains closed to normal shipping and will not be fully reopened unless the United States meets a series of conditions linked to an interim agreement reached in June. The conflicting positions have further reduced hopes of a quick diplomatic breakthrough and raised concerns about shipping, oil prices and regional security.
Trump said on August 18 that there were no talks or conversations underway or scheduled with Iran. He also insisted that the U.S. naval blockade remained fully in force while claiming that the Strait of Hormuz was open and operating and that water mines had been removed or detonated. Iran, however, rejected that description of the situation and maintained that the strategic waterway remained shut to shipping.
The disagreement is important because the Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most important energy routes. Before the conflict, roughly one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas flows passed through the waterway. With the conflict continuing and commercial traffic sharply reduced, uncertainty around the strait has become a major concern for energy markets and international shipping.
The latest shipping figures showed that traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remained in the single digits on Monday. That limited movement indicates that, despite Trump's statement that the waterway is open, shipping activity has not returned to normal. Shipowners and operators remain cautious because of the security situation and the continuing disagreement between Iran and the United States.
The situation became more serious after the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations reported that a vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while sailing out through the Strait of Hormuz. The incident caused damage to the ship's engine room and resulted in one crew casualty. The Omani Coast Guard was assisting the remaining crew. Tehran had not immediately commented on the incident.
The United Arab Emirates also reported a separate security development. Its Defense Ministry said it detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran and later said its assessment indicated that the missiles were targeting maritime traffic. Both missiles fell into the sea. Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei rejected the UAE's accusations and described them as baseless.
The UAE then announced that it had suspended trade activities, exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice. The decision added another layer of pressure to regional economic relations at a time when shipping and trade through the Gulf are already facing major disruption. Direct cargo shipping between the UAE and Iran had only resumed in late June through Dubai's Jebel Ali Port after being suspended in early March.
Iran's position on reopening the Strait of Hormuz is closely connected to the June interim agreement with the United States. Iranian parliamentary speaker and senior negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said the waterway would remain closed until Washington fulfilled its commitments under the agreement. Iran wants the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports to end, oil sanctions to be lifted, frozen Iranian assets to be released and military threats and operations on all fronts to stop.
The June 17 memorandum had established a 60-day period for reaching a broader agreement covering Iran's nuclear programme and U.S. sanctions. That period expired on Monday without producing the wider settlement that both sides had been expected to pursue. The agreement had also called for the immediate and permanent end of military operations on all fronts, but disagreements over the Strait of Hormuz became one of the main obstacles to maintaining the arrangement.
The latest developments also highlight a sharp difference in messages coming from Washington. A day before Trump's latest statement, his son-in-law and special envoy Jared Kushner had indicated that discussions with Iran were still taking place and described them as potentially more active than before. Trump then said there were no talks and none were scheduled, leaving the future of the diplomatic channel uncertain.
Iran has also signalled that it is not completely closing the door on negotiations. Mohammad Mokhber, an adviser to Iran's supreme leader, said Tehran remained open to dialogue with Washington but would not consider negotiations a form of surrender. He argued that sanctions and military pressure would not force Iran to abandon its position and said Iran would continue to defend its security, dignity and allies while not seeking war.
The wider conflict has now lasted nearly six months and has created a difficult security situation across the region. The war began with joint U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran, after which Iran attacked U.S. military bases and infrastructure in several countries, including Oman, Jordan, Kuwait, Israel, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. Thousands of people have been killed during the conflict, particularly in Iran and Lebanon.
The economic impact has also been significant. Brent crude oil futures reached $126 a barrel at the peak of the conflict, around 75% above pre-war levels. On August 18, Brent futures settled 20 cents higher at just above $91 a barrel. Oil prices have remained sensitive to developments around the Strait of Hormuz because any prolonged disruption to the waterway can affect global energy supplies and increase the cost of transporting oil and gas. Reuters reported that oil prices rose again as hopes for a near-term U.S.-Iran agreement weakened.
Financial markets have also felt the pressure. Stock markets weakened as investors assessed the possibility of a longer conflict, while borrowing costs for major economies, including the United States, reached multi-decade highs. The concern is not limited to oil prices. A prolonged disruption could increase transport costs, add pressure to inflation and create wider economic problems for countries that depend heavily on energy imports.
The United States continues to place Iran's nuclear programme among its main objectives. Washington wants to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, but experts have argued that reaching that goal could be difficult without addressing Iran's enriched uranium, which is believed to remain at locations previously targeted by U.S. military strikes.
Washington has also signalled that economic pressure on Tehran could increase. A U.S. administration official said the president has additional measures available to put greater pressure on Iran's economy in the coming weeks and months. That raises the possibility of further sanctions or other economic restrictions if diplomacy remains stalled.
For now, the biggest disagreement is simple but important: Washington says the Strait of Hormuz is open, while Tehran says it remains closed until the United States meets its conditions. The low number of ships passing through the waterway and the reported attack on a vessel show that commercial shipping has not returned to normal despite Trump's statement.
The next stage will depend largely on whether Washington and Tehran can restore a diplomatic channel and find a workable arrangement over sanctions, military activity and the Strait of Hormuz. If negotiations restart, pressure on oil markets and international shipping could ease. If the diplomatic gap continues to widen, the region could face a longer period of restricted shipping, higher energy costs and greater security risks.
For global markets, the Strait of Hormuz remains the key issue. For Iran and the United States, however, the dispute is now tied to a much wider set of questions involving sanctions, military operations, the nuclear programme and the terms of any future agreement. With the 60-day negotiating period already expired and Trump saying no new talks are planned, there is currently no clear sign of an immediate settlement.
Stay informed with the latest national and international news.
© 2026. All rights reserved.