France Defends Ben-Gvir Sanctions as West Bank Violence Rises

France says rising West Bank settler violence justifies action against Israeli minister Itamar Ben-Gvir as pressure grows over settlements and attacks on Palestinians.

Raja Awais Ali

8/19/20264 min read

France Defends Ben-Gvir Sanctions as West Bank Settler Violence Escalates

France has defended its decision to take action against Israeli far-right minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, saying the latest violence by Israeli settlers against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank shows why pressure on him is necessary.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said on August 19, 2026, that the situation in the West Bank was deeply disturbing. He linked the latest violence directly to France’s decision to restrict Ben-Gvir and warned that further measures could follow against Israeli settlers accused of taking part in attacks on Palestinians.

The French position comes as violence in the West Bank has become a growing international concern. In the village of Qusra, near Nablus, Palestinian families have faced a prolonged confrontation with Israeli settlers. Reports from the area describe homes being surrounded, access being blocked and water and electricity being cut. The situation has drawn criticism from Palestinian officials, rights groups and U.S. officials.

The Qusra crisis is not an isolated incident. Reuters reported that residents have faced attacks for months, while more than 2,200 Palestinians have been displaced in 2026 in connection with settler violence. The broader security situation has also become increasingly dangerous, with Palestinian deaths reported in clashes involving Israeli forces and settlers.

This latest escalation explains why France is putting the issue higher on its diplomatic agenda. Paris has argued that individuals who encourage, finance or carry out violence should face consequences rather than allowing such attacks to continue without accountability.

France’s action against Ben-Gvir began in May. On May 23, Barrot announced that Ben-Gvir, Israel’s far-right national security minister, would be barred from entering French territory. At the time, France pointed to his conduct toward activists linked to the Global Sumud Flotilla, including French and other European citizens detained by Israeli forces.

The measure was significant because Ben-Gvir is not a private political figure. He is a serving Israeli cabinet minister and one of the strongest voices on Israel’s far right. His political positions on Palestinians, security policy and Israeli control over disputed territory have repeatedly attracted international criticism.

France then joined Britain, Canada and Norway in coordinated action announced in June against networks accused of financing, enabling or carrying out settler violence in the West Bank. The countries said the measures were aimed at those helping sustain attacks against Palestinians and warned that additional steps could be considered if the situation did not improve.

France also moved against another senior Israeli far-right figure, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, as part of the wider pressure over settlement policy and violence. The measures showed that Paris was focusing not only on individual attacks but also on political figures associated with expanding Israeli control in the West Bank.

Israel has rejected the Western sanctions. Its Foreign Ministry has accused governments imposing the measures of failing to deal properly with antisemitism and of contributing to it through what Israel sees as unfair treatment. Israel also rejects the international legal view that its settlements in the West Bank are illegal, pointing instead to historical and biblical connections to the territory.

The disagreement goes back much further than the latest sanctions. Israel captured the West Bank from Jordan during the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. Since then, Israeli settlements have expanded across the territory. The international community, including the United Nations, has repeatedly said the settlements violate international law, while Israel disputes that position.

Today, the West Bank and East Jerusalem are home to around 700,000 Israeli settlers alongside millions of Palestinians. The settlement issue remains one of the central obstacles in efforts to reach a lasting Israeli-Palestinian agreement.

The legal dispute became even more important after the International Court of Justice issued a 2024 advisory opinion concerning Israel’s occupation and settlement policies. Israel rejected the court’s conclusions, while many governments and international organizations have continued to use the ruling as part of their criticism of settlement expansion.

The violence has also increased sharply since the Gaza war began in October 2023. The West Bank has experienced more settler attacks, military operations, property damage and displacement, creating a separate but closely connected front in the wider Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

By July 2026, the U.N. human rights office said 18 Palestinians had been killed in incidents linked to settler violence during the year, already exceeding the 17 deaths recorded for all of 2025. The U.N. also reported attacks involving physical violence, destruction of property and damage to religious sites.

The situation has continued to worsen in August. Qusra has become one of the clearest examples of the current pressure on Palestinian communities. Families have described being trapped inside their homes while settlers remained outside, while Israeli forces later imposed restrictions around the village. The episode has attracted unusual criticism from the United States as well as European governments.

For France, these developments strengthen the argument that diplomatic statements alone are not enough. Barrot has indicated that France could impose additional measures on settlers involved in violence. That would broaden the policy from action against prominent politicians such as Ben-Gvir to individuals and networks directly connected with attacks.

The wider question is whether sanctions can actually change the situation on the ground. Restrictions on travel, financial networks and individuals can increase political pressure, but they do not by themselves resolve the deeper dispute over land, settlements and Palestinian statehood.

For Israel, the issue is tied to security, historical claims and the future of its settlements. For Palestinians, continued settlement growth and violence are closely linked to fears of losing land and being pushed out of their communities. For France and other Western governments, the concern is increasingly about whether continued violence is making a negotiated political solution harder to achieve.

That is why the latest French statement matters beyond Ben-Gvir himself. Paris is signaling that continued violence in the West Bank could bring more international pressure on Israeli officials, settlers and networks linked to settlement activity.

The immediate focus is now on whether the situation in places such as Qusra settles down and whether Israel takes stronger action against those accused of attacking Palestinian communities. If violence continues, France has already indicated that additional sanctions remain possible.

The dispute over the West Bank is decades old, but the current rise in violence has given it new urgency. France’s decision to defend its measures against Ben-Gvir shows that the issue is moving beyond criticism and into a broader debate over sanctions, accountability and the future of the territory.

Stay informed with the latest national and international news.

© 2026. All rights reserved.